See How to Create This Here!
Recipe starts at 5:52
Creamy Pumpkin & Roasted Chestnut Soup
This pumpkin soup is like no other. The soup is luscious from the creamy butternut squash combined with the buttery sweetness of roasted chestnuts. A hint of coconut cream draws everything together.
- Creates: 5 serves
- Dietary: V | VF
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 medium butternut pumpkin*, halved and de-seeded
- 3 cups chestnuts
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Garnish with: dairy-free vanilla yoghurt, crushed nuts (walnuts, almonds or macadamias work well)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the pumpkin on top. Brush the pumpkin with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-50 minutes until the flesh is tender and skin is brown. Remove and let it cool for 15 minutes before peeling the skin.
- Make a cross on the round, curved side on each chestnut with a serrated knife. This will prevent it from exploding. Line another baking tray and roast the chestnuts for 20 minutes at 200°C or until the shell has popped open.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in carrot and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add in the pumpkin and chestnuts. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to let it simmer and add in the coconut milk. Stir to mix. Season with salt and the spices. Simmer for 20-25 minutes with no lid.
- Pour the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with dairy-free greek style yoghurt and sprinkle some crushed nuts over the top.
*If pumpkin is not in season where you are, you can use 2 cups of pumpkin puree