See How to Create This Here!
Easy Steamed Silken Tofu with Vegan Oyster Soy Sauce
Hey friends! I made this easy steamed silken tofu recipe today for dinner and it was so yummy! It’s a Chinese style recipe using silken tofu that is steamed to create a soft and luxurious texture. The steamed tofu is served with a vegan oyster soy sauce that complements it perfectly. The recipe is so easy to make and so here’s the full recipe!
This recipe is part of the everyday plant-based series.
- Creates: 1 serve
- Dietary: V | VG | NF | can be made gluten-free
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 packet silken tofu, drained
- 3 pak choy, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan oyster sauce (optional)*
- Garnish: chopped coriander, sesame seeds, fried shallots
- Steam the pak choy for 6-8 minutes until bright green and easily pierced with knife.
- Steam the tofu for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drizzle sesame oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and vegan oyster sauce. Mix and simmer for a few minutes. Add in water to mellow out the taste, adjust to your preference. Remove from heat and mix in spring onions.
- Gently serve the tofu on a plate and slice it into smaller pieces. Pour over the sauce and spring onions on the top. Garnish with coriander, sesame seeds and fried shallots. Serve with rice.
Happy eating! x
*Vegan oyster sauces are readily found at Asian grocery stores
- To make it gluten-free: use GF soy sauce and tamari
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this steamed silken tofu more whole foods by:
- Omitting the sesame oil
- Using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce