See How to Create This Here!
Recipe starts at 9:16
Lentil, Kale & Cauliflower Nourish Bowl
This lentil, kale and cauliflower nourish bowl is filled with so much wholesome goodness! The colourfulness of the bowl shows how nourishing everything is and we went with a beautiful vegan mayonnaise sauce to bring it all together.
This recipe is part of the high protein nourish bowls series.
At Embody Nourish, we believe in wholesome and balanced eating to nourish both the mind and body. We don’t count calories, macro- or micronutrients as part of our everyday plant-based eating. We prefer to eat a wide variety of plant-based foods to cover our nutritional needs. In terms of creating ‘high protein meals’ we carefully plan and select our ingredients that we know are protein-rich and from there, we create a meal that is healthy, nutritious and delicious. This is what we prefer to do and we don’t count the protein content or numbers. (However, please feel free to if this is your preference!)
In this lentil, kale and cauliflower nourish bowl, we consider it high protein mainly due to the lentils, kale and hemp seeds. The abundance of vegetables also helps!
- Creates: 3-4 nourish bowls
- Dietary: V | VG | GF | can be made nut-free
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Half cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- 4-6 stems of kale leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
Vegan Sriracha Mayo
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tsp sriracha
- 375g dried green or brown lentils
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- Garnish with: crushed almonds, hemp seeds
Make the roasted cauliflower first so it can roast while you prepare the rest of the nourish bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Gather the cauliflower in the middle of the baking sheet. Drizzle oil over (optional) and season with paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until it’s golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve in the nourish bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over a pan over medium heat.
- Add in kale and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until kale has softened and turns an emerald green. Cook for longer if you wish the kale to be more tender.
- Remove from heat and serve in the nourish bowl.
Vegan Sriracha Mayo
- Combine all the ingredients together in a jar. Whisk together.
- Adjust the ingredients to your liking.
- Drizzle over the nourish bowl or use it for something else entirely!
- Boil a pot over high heat and add in the lentils. Cook for about 12 minutes until the lentil is tender. Leave it for longer (around 14-15 minutes) to soften it more. Drain the lentils.
- Combine the lentils, cauliflower, kale and cherry tomatoes into a bowl.
- Garnish with almonds and hemp seeds.
- Drizzle over the vegan sriracha mayo and serve!
Happy eating! x
- To make it gluten-free: ensure the vegan mayo you’re using is GF.
- To make it nut-free: omit the crushed almonds. You can substitute with sunflower kernels too!
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this lentil, kale and cauliflower nourish bowl more whole foods by:
- Omitting the oil for roasting cauliflower.
- Omitting the oil for sautéeing the kale. Use vegetable stock to sauté the kale but keep in mind that it will result in a softer kale.
- Instead of maple syrup, we recommend using date syrup or yacon syrup (according to our research, both are healthier especially the yacon syrup). Although this is the case, we don’t use yacon syrup regularly in our recipes because it’s hard to source.