See How to Create This Here!
Pumpkin Nourish Bowl with Homemade Basil Pesto
Hey friends! This vegan pumpkin nourish bowl is going to nourish your body and tastebuds!!! The nourish bowl is incredibly healthy because it’s all whole foods (no oil) and it’s made up of roasted pumpkin (butternut) and a special homemade basil pesto sauce. I love vegan nourish bowls and I love creating different ideas and recipes – this is one that I would love to share with you guys today!
This recipe is part of the everyday plant-based series.
- Creates: 3-4 bowls
- Dietary: V | VG | GF | can be made nut-free
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Half of a butternut pumpkin, cut into 3cm bite-sized pieces –
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- Baby spinach
- Garnish with: sunflower seeds, walnuts
Vegan Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp white miso
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves
- Juice of half a lime
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Olive oil or veggie stock
- Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Gather pumpkin together in the centre of the sheet. Season with garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle oil over if you want to (I like to roast my veggies with no oil). Bake pumpkin for 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Prepare the quinoa according to package instructions. (I cook the quinoa in a pot with 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until all the water has been absorbed which is around 10-12 minutes)
- To make the pesto, add in basil leaves, nutritional yeast, white miso, lemon or lime juice, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor. Blend until a loose mixture forms. Pour in olive oil (or veggie stock) and adjust it to the consistency you want with more olive oil or water. Adjust to taste by adding in more ingredients.
- Before serving, mix together some of the quinoa and pesto. Serve in a bowl and add in baby spinach and roasted pumpkin. Garnish with sunflower seeds, walnuts and season with salt and pepper.
Happy eating! x
- To make it nut-free: omit the walnuts in the nourish bowl, omit the pine nuts in the pesto and sub with sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this vegan pumpkin nourish bowl more whole foods by:
- Omitting oil in the recipe. In my video, I made it without any oil and it turned out perfect!