See How to Create This Here!
Quinoa Stuffed Eggplants
Hi friends! One of my favourite vegetables ever are eggplants (or aubergines if you’re fancy!) and one of my favourite meals ever… are vegan stuffed eggplants (stuffed aubergines)! I made these vegan quinoa stuffed eggplants the other day and they were so delicious that I had to share the recipe with you guys. Enjoy!
This recipe is part of the everyday plant-based series.
- Creates: 4 stuffed eggplants
- Dietary: V | VG | GF | can be made nut-free
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 brown onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 3 cups tomato passata
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Garnish with: chopped parsley, more sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions (I cook the quinoa in a pot with 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until all the water has been absorbed which is around 10-12 minutes).
- Halve the eggplants and spoon out the centre flesh. Be careful to leave enough inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked. Chop up the scooped flesh.
- Pour some veggie stock into a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until soft and fragrant. Add in garlic, turmeric, cumin, cayenne and coriander. Stir and cook for 15-30 seconds until it’s fragrant. Add in the chopped eggplant and cook until it’s tender. Remove from heat and stir in quinoa, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Assemble eggplant ‘bowls’ onto a baking sheet with baking paper. Fill up with the mixture above. Bake for 30-35 minutes on the lower rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat the tomato in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix in balsamic vinegar and garlic powder. Turn down heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes.*
- When eggplants are done, remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving. Garnish with parsley, more sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts. Drizzle over sauce.
Happy eating! x
*Feel free to simply use your favourite tomato sauce or even hot sauce.
- To make it nut-free: omit the pine nuts and substitute with seeds.
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
This quinoa stuffed eggplant recipe is already whole foods all the way through! Yay! I used vegetable stock instead of oil to cook the everything on the pan. Feel free though, to change it up!