See How to Create This Here!
Recipe starts at 11:08
Vegan Tikka Masala Tofu Skewers
These vegan tikka masala tofu skewers are bursting with incredible flavours and they’re so easy to make! Tofu marinated in a special tikka masala yoghurt sauce is grilled to aromatic golden perfection.
This recipe is part of our 30 minute dinner series – check out the other recipes here!
- Creates: 15 skewers
- Dietary: V | VG | GF | NF
- Prep Time: 5 minutes + overnight marinade or at least 2-3 hours (optional)
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes + marinating time
- 2 packet of firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into small 2-3cm cubes
- 1/4 cauliflower, cut into small florets*
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 4-5cm pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 4-5cm pieces
- Half a red onion, sliced into wedges
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water
Vegan Tikka Masala Yoghurt Sauce
- 1 cup vegan coconut yoghurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger powder (or fresh)
- 1 tsp tikka masala powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Optional: salt, chilli powder, maple syrup
- Garnish with: paprika, coriander, yoghurt
Marinating the Tofu
The flavours are best when the tofu is marinated overnight but it still tastes delicious if you make it on the go. Marinate the tofu first so it can sit there for at least 5-10 minutes while you prepare the vegetables. Watch how I release excess fluid from the tofu without a tofu press here. Also, don’t forget to soak the bamboo skewers!
- Combine tofu and the tofu marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Let it marinate overnight or while you’re making the vegan tikka masala sauce.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine tofu, garlic, ginger, tikka masala, turmeric, cumin and paprika. Using your hands, toss and coat the spices all over the tofu pieces. I prefer using my hands instead of a spatula or wooden spoon to fully coat it and prevent any breakage.
- Add in yoghurt and mix until everything is combined.
- Let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Assemble the skewers with the marinated tofu, red and green bell peppers, onion and cauliflower.
- There are a few ways to cook the skewers. Grill them on high heat for 10-15 minutes until brown, turning them once. You can also heat up a griddle pan or a skillet, brush some olive oil and cook the skewers for around 10-15 minutes. In our video, we used the oven at 200°C for 25 minutes. Pour any remaining marinade sauce on top of the skewers.
- When cooked, wrap the skewers in foil to keep them warm. Serve with more yoghurt sauce and coriander.
*Substitute with any other vegetable you like to eat on skewers
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this vegan tikka masala tofu skewers recipe more whole foods by: (overall, this is a pretty good whole foods recipe!)
- Omitting the optional maple syrup and salt
- We prefer using the oven method to cook these skewers because there is no added oil