See How to Create This Here!
Vegan Eggplant Parmigiana
Hey friends! This vegan eggplant parmigiana recipe is one of my favourite vegan foods ever. Where I live, we call it eggplant parmy but I know that in other places, the eggplant parmigiana is often called eggplant parma! Anyway, this recipe is absolutely delicious and it’s definitely vegan. If you’re looking for other vegan eggplant recipes, check out my other videos too!
This recipe is part of the everyday plant-based series.
- Creates: 8 parmigiana pieces
- Dietary: V | VG | NF | can be made gluten-free
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1cm slices length wise
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- Olive oil, to cook
- 1/4 mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 200g tomato passata
- 1/2 cup veggie stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- All purpose flour and salt
- Soy milk
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Season the eggplants with sea salt, mixed herbs and black pepper. Flip the eggplants over and repeat. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add in mixed herbs, cayenne pepper and sauté for 15 seconds. Pour in vegetable stock and diced tomatoes. Simmer on low heat partially covered until needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 deg C.
- Set up 3 bowls: flour + pinch of salt, soy milk, breadcrumbs. Dip into flour then soy milk then breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a in pan and fry each side until golden. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. – Place it on top. Pour sauce over eggplant, add vegan cheese or nutritional yeast. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Happy eating! x
- To make it gluten-free: use GF flour (in the video, I used almond flour)
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this vegan eggplant parmigiana more whole foods by:
- Baking the eggplant parmigiana instead of frying them (or alternatively, using less oil when frying)
- Omitting the salt