See How to Create This Here!
Recipe starts at 0:46
Vegan Mac and Cheese
There’s nothing like a warm bowl of mac and cheese when you need a little bit of comfort in your belly. This vegan mac and cheese is creamy, delicious and it’s incredibly healthy because the sauce is plant-powered!
This recipe is part of the vegan comfort food (perfect for Netflix & Chill) series.
- Creates: 4 small serves
- Dietary: V | VG | can be made gluten-free and nut-free
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 packet elbow macaroni pasta (or any pasta of your choice)
- 2 carrots, steamed or boiled*
- 2 potatoes, steamed or boiled
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup nutritional yeast, more to taste
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk, more to adjust consistency
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serve with: paprika, coriander, toasted breadcrumbs
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine carrots, potatoes, cashews, tahini, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, miso, dijon mustard, soy sauce, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, garlic, onion and nutritional yeast. Blend until everything is combined and pulverised. Adjust to taste with more or less ingredients. Adjust the consistency with some plant-based milk.
- In a pot, heat up the pasta over medium-heat. Add in butter and let it melt through the pasta. Pour in the mac and cheese sauce and stir to coat the pasta.
- Serve in bowls or plates. Garnish with toasted breadcrumbs, sprinkle of paprika and fresh or dried coriander.
*Let the carrots and potatoes cool before blending them in the food processor.
- To intensify the flavours of the spices: lightly toast the spices in a pan over low-medium heat.
- How to make it gluten-free: use GF pasta, soy sauce (or use tamari) and vegan butter. Omit the breadcrumbs.
- How to make it nut-free: omit the cashews and use 3 carrots and 3 potatoes instead of 2 each.
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make this vegan mac and cheese recipe more whole foods by:
- Using whole wheat pasta or pasta made via other grains.
- Omitting the vegan butter (we used it to better coat the pasta with the sauce and to make it a tiny bit more indulgent but it’s perfectly fine without)
- Omitting the breadcrumbs.