See How to Create This Here!
Wholesome Eggplant Pizzas
These vegan eggplant pizza bites are going to be your next favourite thing! Move aside traditional pizzas – these eggplant pizza rounds are healthy, fun to make and incredibly delicious. I love this vegan eggplant pizza recipe because it sets up a beautiful eggplant pizza crust base and you can go crazy with your favourite pizza toppings! This is one of my all time favourite vegan eggplant recipes and honestly, it’s so wholesome.
This recipe is part of the everyday plant-based series.
- Creates: 10 mini eggplant pizzas
- Dietary: V | VG | GF | NF
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Eggplant (aubergine), sliced into 1cm thick rounds*
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- Tomato paste or canned diced tomatoes^
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- Black olives
- Basil leaves
- To garnish: vegan parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast flakes, fresh basil leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together olive oil, dried oregano and thyme. Brush the eggplant with the olive oil mixture and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the grill (I used a griddle pan) over medium-high heat. Grill the eggplants 3-4 minutes per side or until there are charred markings. Don’t worry if it’s not cooked through.
- When done, assemble the char-grilled eggplants onto the sheet. Spread or brush the tomato on top and add the toppings (capsicum, onion, olives, jalapeños). If you have vegan mozzarella cheese, I recommend it!
- Bake the eggplants for 15-20 minutes at 180 deg C. Remove from oven and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
Happy eating! x
*Have fun with the amount of the ingredients – I eye-balled the recipe and it depends on how much toppings you like. The eggplant pizzas are mini bite-sized pieces so keep that in mind. One eggplant should give 6-7 slices.
^I usually brush the classic tomato paste onto the sliced eggplants but sometimes if I want more texture, I’ll use canned tomatoes instead (as shown in the video)
- Different toppings: also have fun with the toppings and flavours! I used a classic combination of toppings but feel free to add in pineapples or turn it into a vegan chicken BBQ eggplant pizza (yuuuum!)
How to Make it Whole Foods
At Embody Nourish, we promote a plant-based diet that comprise mainly of whole foods. This means no oil (even ‘healthy’ oils such as coconut or olive oil), refined or processed foods. However we understand that this ideal is not yet mainstream so we strive to accomodate everyone while encouraging small changes.
You can make these wholesome eggplant pizzas more wholefoods by:
- Omitting the olive oil (you can definitely grill and bake without oil!)